To accept bank/credit cards for the payment for products, events, workshops, courses, etc., a department must obtain a merchant ID through our Acquirer bank (currently, Bank of America). The merchant must follow all compliance, security standards and policies established by the bank, Payment Card Industry Council and The University of Arizona.
The merchant is responsible for all credit card fees, terminal, authorization gateway and compliance charges associated with acceptance of bank/credit cards. The bank/credit rates (interchange) are based on the type of card (AMEX, MC/Visa or Discover) utilized for the transaction.
- MasterCard and Visa interchange rates are based on the type of credit card used (i.e. government, business purchasing card, international, rewards).
- Discover and American Express have an established flat rate for the University.
A merchant must accept MasterCard and Visa. However, a merchant may choose to accept American Express or Discover as well.
When pricing goods and services, it is good practice to include the following:
- Build in 5% (estimate) for cost of acceptance of debit/credit cards, PLUS...
- All applicable University charges such as the current administrative service charges (Policy 6.17 Administrative Service Charge Policy), PLUS...
- Any applicable sales tax
Fees and costs are tied to the type of acceptance method (e.g. e-commerce, terminal) and credit card (e.g. Visa/MC, Discover, AMEX, government, business, reward, etc.) used by customer transaction.
- Point of Sale Swipe Desktop Terminal: Face to face, mail and phone order transactions
- E-Commerce: Collecting, processing and authorizing credit card transactions through an authorization gateway
- Third party vendors who control and maintain the e-commerce process on behalf of the department (e.g. hosted shopping carts and applications)
Establishing a Merchant Account
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact Merchant Services at 621-5781.