The Form 1098-T is a form provided to you and the IRS that reports, among other things, amounts paid for qualified tuition and related expenses. This form...
- May be useful in calculating the amount of the allowable education tax credits.
- Should not be attached to your federal income tax return when you claim education tax credits (as W-2 forms are).
To retrieve an electronic copy of your 1098-T:
- Log into UAccess
- In the Finances section, click the drop down titled "other financial..." then select "1098T Forms" then click the arrow button to proceed
- You will be directed to Heartland Campus Solutions ECSI ("Heartland ECSI"), where you can obtain your form(s)
- If you are unable to log into UAccess, please visit http://www.ecsi.net/taxinfo.html
If you have specific question about the amounts reported on your 1098-T, please contact us.
Information for Tax Year 2018
View our interactive sample Form 1098-T to help you understand the information contained in each box.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why didn't I receive a 1098-T?
- The University of Arizona did not have a valid social security number on file for you. Please contact the Registrar's Office to update your personal information. Once your information is updated, contact us to request your 1098-T.
- The University of Arizona did not have a current address for you. To change your address information go to UAccess. Once your address is changed, contact us to request your 1098-T.
- The amount of qualified tuition and related expenses paid during the calendar year was zero.
How do I view my 1098-T online?
Where can I find a copy of my payment history?
What time period does my 2018 1098-T cover?
What do I do with the 1098-T form?
Can I use the amounts on my 1098-T form when I file my taxes?
How can I get help determining if I am eligible to take one of the credits?
I don't file a tax return but I am claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return (i.e., parent, guardian, etc.). Can they take the tax credit?
I'm a Non-Resident Alien. Why am I getting a 1098-T form?
Why does the University of Arizona need my social security number?
The University of Arizona issues an IRS form 1098-T to students who may be eligible for the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit when filing a tax return per IRS requirements. Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code requires you to provide your correct SSN or TIN to persons who must file information returns with the IRS (such as the University of Arizona). Failure to provide your SSN or TIN to us may result in you receiving an IRS penalty of $50.
In order to comply with IRS regulations, you will need to submit a Change of Personal Information (including your signature) and present your social security card or TIN card or a legible copy of the card to the Office of the Registrar. The office is located in the Administration Building and is open 8:00 am to 4:45 pm Monday through Friday. If sending by US Mail, send to: Office of Registration and Transcripts, Administration Building, PO Box 210066, Tucson AZ 85721-0066. Fax the same information to: 520-621-8944. All documentation must be legible if sent by fax. If you are an International Student, the Change of Personal Information is processed through the International Student Programs and Services Office at 915 N. Tyndall Ave (520-621-4627).
If you are nonresident alien and do not have a TIN and will not file a U.S. tax return, this does not apply to you.