Returned, Rejected, Dishonored Checks: A returned or dishonored check is a check payment (submitted as a mailed check or eCheck) returned by the bank, unpaid, for any reason.
Common reasons checks are returned/rejected
- Insufficient funds
- No account found (typically the account/routing combination provided was not valid)
- Do Not Honor (typically payment is blocked by your financial institution, there may be a daily transaction/dollar limit on the card)
Impact on Account
- $25.00 non-refundable processing Returned Check Fee will be assessed and the payment will be reversed
- A BRC hold restricting additional online payments will be placed on the student account
- University services will be withheld, including, but not limited to, registration, grades, transcripts, and diplomas
- If the University has received three (3) or more returned checks from the student, we will no longer accept their personal check payments
Notification & Repayment Process
- The University will notify the student in writing of a Dishonored Check; the student has fourteen (14) days from the date of this notice to pay the total amount due
- Repayment for returned checks must be made by Money Order, Cashier's Check, or Cash
- Once the account is paid in full, the hold will be automatically removed
- Until paid in full, the student will be assessed a monthly Past Due Balance Charge
NOTE: Unpaid dishonored checks may be referred to a Collection Agency. If it is deemed necessary to refer the account to an Agency, the student (debtor) will be responsible for all collection costs and legal fees. Per Arizona Revised Statute (ARS 12-671), twice the amount of the check or $50.00, whichever is greater, may be assessed in addition to the $25.00 Service Charge.